Web: Ten lies to protect the status quo - Seth Godin
Seth Godin, on his blog, has listed ten "Lies that seek to protect the status quo".
Sometimes you need reinforcement from someone else so that you can go through your day with a small sense that you are NOT crazy. Too often, statements like this, and many more, are bandied about like the truth without any investigation as to why we believe them or what they do to us as a culture.
Here's a toast to asking more questions...and the more difficult, the better!
Lies to protect the status quo
1. Canadian pharmaceuticals are dangerous
2. Piracy is killing the ongoing creation of music and movies (notice I didn't say anything about the movie and music businesses)
3. Dental work lasts forever
4. A bottle of Evian is dangerous to airline security and must be surrendered
5. The Microsoft monopoly pays dividends to all users (like IE, for example)
6. You can’t start a business without venture money or a big bank loan
7. Working hard for your boss and following instructions is the best way to get ahead
8. We need to spend taxpayer money on support for traditional factory farming
9. It’s impossible to make a fuel efficient automobile Americans will accept
10. Who you know is more important than what you do